Supporting Mental Health and Safety Abroad
Moving abroad can be an exciting adventure for any employee, but it can also be a stressful and challenging experience, particularly when it comes to mental health and safety. Here are some tips to support an assignee’s mental health and safety when moving abroad:
- Research the destination: Before moving, it’s essential to research the host location to understand the culture, customs, and laws. This will help assignees prepare mentally and emotionally for the move and reduce the effects of culture shock and disorientation.
- Find a support network: Moving to a new country can be isolating, so it’s important for assignees to build a support network. They can reach out to local expat communities or connect with indiviuals who have moved to the same country. They can also seek help from mental health professionals or join online groups.
- Prioritize self-care: Moving abroad can be overwhelming, so it’s essential to prioritize self-care. Assignees need to make sure to take breaks, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and eat healthily. These habits can help manage stress and maintain mental health.
- Play it safe: When in a new country, concerns about safety and emergencies can cause a lot of stress and anxiety, especially if the assignee doesn’t speak the local language. Research the safest neighborhoods, and prepare emergency contact information to make sure employees feel secure before they go.
- Stay connected: Stay connected with friends and family back home, as well as with new friends in the new country. This can help assignees feel less isolated and provide a support network when they need it.
Moving abroad can be a challenging experience, but with the right preparation and support, mental health and safety will no longer be a challenge or worry. Remind assignees to take care of themselves, stay connected, and be aware of their surroundings.
Living Abroad’s destination reports provide the kind of information employees need before they relocate. Not only do we cover culture and customs, but we also offer resources on mental health and safety. We stay on top of the latest trends to support you, your global employees, and clients.
Request a trial demo here.